Recent comments on posts in the blog:

comment 1

Hrm, I've never found that necessary on Gogo on Delta.

I just browse directly to http://airborne.gogoinflight.com/ Or, more recently, https://airbornesecure.gogoinflight.com/

Comment by Stefano Rivera
How about bridging
Thank you very much for the article, following it was the first time I got my containers to have internet access, I was trying to expose them to my DHCP before with no success (using debian stretch) so If you feel like adding that option to your article I'll be very grateful!
Comment by Sergio_L
two flavors

there are two flavors of sip uri there.

[DID]@sip.voip.ms [subaccount]@[POP].voip.ms

and they are not interchangeable.

Comment by seth black wider
Some history of the InnoDB ROW_FORMAT

I implemented the ROW_FORMAT=DYNAMIC back in 2004 or 2005 in the InnoDB Plugin for MySQL 5.1, which was available separately from the built-in InnoDB. Later, it became the InnoDB in MySQL 5.5.

The only difference between ROW_FORMAT=DYNAMIC and the previous default ROW_FORMAT=COMPACT (which I introduced in MySQL 5.0.3) is the storage of long string columns (such as VARCHAR, BLOB, or TEXT). Originally, Heikki Tuuri decided to always store the 768 first bytes of each column inline in the page, so that it would be easier to implement column prefix indexes in secondary indexes. Unsurprisingly, users started to complain, because the unnecessary inline storage would happen unconditionally, whether or not the column is indexed.

For ROW_FORMAT=DYNAMIC, I improved InnoDB in such a way that there is no need to store a local prefix. Instead, column prefixes will be stored in undo log records if needed. (An attempt to update many prefix-indexed columns in one statement may fail if the undo log record would not fit in one page.)

In MySQL 5.5, the maximum column prefix index length was increased from 767 (the 768th byte was always 'wasted') to 3072 bytes.

Due to someone's strange idea regarding compatibility, one had to override two configuration parameters to enable the sane behaviour. Originally, the idea was that one could try out the InnoDB Plugin in MySQL 5.1 and be able to return to the built-in InnoDB. I finally changed the parameters innodb_file_format, innodb_large_prefix to have sane defaults in MySQL 5.7 and removed them in MySQL 8.0. Likewise, In MySQL 5.7 introduced the parameter innodb_default_row_format=dynamic, so that it is not necessary to specify a ROW_FORMAT when creating tables.

These settings are also present in MariaDB Server starting with version 10.2, which is the first major version released after I joined the company.

Comment by Marko Mäkelä
Unmounting /home
If you get errors during umount /home, you may need to end your graphical shell and login as root before mounting /home. On Debian, e.g., you can do this by pressing CTRL+ALT+F{1,2,3,4} at a graphical login prompt before logging in as a regular user, and then logging in as root from there. This way, lsof /home should return nothing and you should be able to unmount /home without error.
Comment by jamesob
Re: WINE

Have you tried running the programming software in WINE?

I have not. If you do end up trying it, I'd be curious to hear about it.

Comment by francois
WINE
Have you tried running the programming software in WINE? Just curious since that would eliminate the VBox setup and using Windows.
Comment by Mark
Boot to earlier kernel worked better
As William (William — 13:54, 06 May 2018) did, I booted to the preceding kernel version, and as I logged in, I saw LivePatch flash by saying it had just updated something. I used apt to update everything and restarted, my machine is now runnign like a Swiss watch!
Comment by Gus
Ubuntu 18.04.3 LTS update

Hi,

Thanks for the article! I followed it and it was my primary reference. However, I did encounter two issues while following it that I thought I should leave with you here. I'm using Ubuntu 18.04.3 and fdisk does not have 'fd' to convert a Linux partition to a Linux RAID partition. It is now '29' for a Linux RAID partition. Also, after adding the original disk to the RAID array and rebooting I found myself in grub rescue mode. After researching more I discovered that I was required to install a module 'mdraid1x' in order for grub to be able to read the RAID array and find the kernel in order to boot. Therefore, I had to boot a Live USB Ubuntu system to access the RAID array before chroot and grub-install --modules='mdraid1x' /dev/sda (to both drives). And finally, when I test each drive separately to see if it will boot (it does).

Anyway, thanks for the article.

Comment by Dennis Chang
@Martin
If you're using a phone without a camera then there's no point in using a QR code anyway, is it?
Comment by RobIII