Recent comments on posts in the blog:

comment 9

Had a very similar issue after an update of Ubuntu 20.04 on a Dell XPS13 (2020). Searched for hours, the solution was actually super easy.

1. reboot and go to BIOS using "fn and F2"
  2. BIOS > System Configuration > Sata Operation > switch to "AHCI" from "RAID On"

For some reason, this BIOS setting was switched.

Comment by Koen
Using Linux

Well, the good news is that the CPS for the 868, 878 & 578 will run under Wine. There are a couple of caveats in as much as version of Wine should be the latest version as this now auto-creates virtual com ports up to com 33. Plugging in the programming lead will automatically create an extra com port - in my case com34, but check your own settings.

All functions are available, including firmware updates etc.

** NOTE FOR 878 ONLY: Although the CPS works well enough in itself, it will NOT read the com port, so you can't read/write to the radio. I've attempted to find ways around this problem, but I'm not a coder and as yet not found a resolution.

Overall it works well in Wine, though you do need to be careful when editing any files you export from the radio. Apparently Linux uses a different 'end of line' format that isn't compatible with Windows and can result in file import errors. Once edited, I suggest re-importing your edited CSV into a text editor such as Xed, which has the facility to save files with a Linux or Windows line ending - choose Windows version and all is well

It really is a pity that the 878 wont find the working com port, otherwise I would 100% recommend using Linux/Wine for these radios.

Eric - G6FGY (UK)

Comment by Eric W
ListAllMyBuckets

What error do you get if you don't grant ListAllMyBuckets?

I've been running duplicity to S3 without that permission for years and never encountered an issue. Though I see lots of other web sites saying the same thing. I'm actually using the duply frontend to duplicity but I think it's unlikely that makes a difference.

Comment by Hamish
comment 1

Hrm, I've never found that necessary on Gogo on Delta.

I just browse directly to http://airborne.gogoinflight.com/ Or, more recently, https://airbornesecure.gogoinflight.com/

Comment by Stefano Rivera
How about bridging
Thank you very much for the article, following it was the first time I got my containers to have internet access, I was trying to expose them to my DHCP before with no success (using debian stretch) so If you feel like adding that option to your article I'll be very grateful!
Comment by Sergio_L
two flavors

there are two flavors of sip uri there.

[DID]@sip.voip.ms [subaccount]@[POP].voip.ms

and they are not interchangeable.

Comment by seth black wider
Some history of the InnoDB ROW_FORMAT

I implemented the ROW_FORMAT=DYNAMIC back in 2004 or 2005 in the InnoDB Plugin for MySQL 5.1, which was available separately from the built-in InnoDB. Later, it became the InnoDB in MySQL 5.5.

The only difference between ROW_FORMAT=DYNAMIC and the previous default ROW_FORMAT=COMPACT (which I introduced in MySQL 5.0.3) is the storage of long string columns (such as VARCHAR, BLOB, or TEXT). Originally, Heikki Tuuri decided to always store the 768 first bytes of each column inline in the page, so that it would be easier to implement column prefix indexes in secondary indexes. Unsurprisingly, users started to complain, because the unnecessary inline storage would happen unconditionally, whether or not the column is indexed.

For ROW_FORMAT=DYNAMIC, I improved InnoDB in such a way that there is no need to store a local prefix. Instead, column prefixes will be stored in undo log records if needed. (An attempt to update many prefix-indexed columns in one statement may fail if the undo log record would not fit in one page.)

In MySQL 5.5, the maximum column prefix index length was increased from 767 (the 768th byte was always 'wasted') to 3072 bytes.

Due to someone's strange idea regarding compatibility, one had to override two configuration parameters to enable the sane behaviour. Originally, the idea was that one could try out the InnoDB Plugin in MySQL 5.1 and be able to return to the built-in InnoDB. I finally changed the parameters innodb_file_format, innodb_large_prefix to have sane defaults in MySQL 5.7 and removed them in MySQL 8.0. Likewise, In MySQL 5.7 introduced the parameter innodb_default_row_format=dynamic, so that it is not necessary to specify a ROW_FORMAT when creating tables.

These settings are also present in MariaDB Server starting with version 10.2, which is the first major version released after I joined the company.

Comment by Marko Mäkelä
Unmounting /home
If you get errors during umount /home, you may need to end your graphical shell and login as root before mounting /home. On Debian, e.g., you can do this by pressing CTRL+ALT+F{1,2,3,4} at a graphical login prompt before logging in as a regular user, and then logging in as root from there. This way, lsof /home should return nothing and you should be able to unmount /home without error.
Comment by jamesob
Re: WINE

Have you tried running the programming software in WINE?

I have not. If you do end up trying it, I'd be curious to hear about it.

Comment by francois