Recent comments on posts in the blog:

works fine

Thanks, works in ubuntu server 18.04.1 ! but i need to set the md device --readwrite, too.

(this "feature" is unfixed for over 9 years )

Comment by mac
good guide !

I have follow the guid to do in debian 9 , everything works perfectly , thanks ! but in the modify /tmp/mntroot/etc/fstb section, debian 9 use UUID instead of sda , and everything rest were almost the same as the guide .

Comment by Anonymous
comment 16

I've follow this tutorial, everything went OK but grub. This part was difficult because of two reasons: 1) I use the GPT and the error was that boot partition doesn't have the bios_grub flag - don't forget to assign when create partitions on the new disk
2) the new 16.04 system has different raid modules to be loaded at grub start like dm_raid, megaraid etc. This part should be updated.

Comment by Erwin
Worked for me with minor tweaks

I didn't need to install lvm2, as it was on my unbootable system. I also had some minor partition/volume differences.

My issue is documented at the Ubuntu forums

That all said, I did have a major issue with DNS resolution not functioning after this was done. I'm wondering if "update-initramfs" lead to this issue specifically (I made other changes I can't recall clearly).

If other experience loss of DNS via systemd.resolved failure, please note it here and on my post in the Ubuntu Forums. My fix is listed there, although I'm effectively disabling systemd.resolved.

Comment by thankful
ideapad BIOS update under Linux

Hello,

After some searching online I tried to update the BIOS on an Ideapad 120s via USB bootable stick with DOS.

How to flash via DOS boot usb.........

1. First you need Rufus and an 1GB USB stick - what I had for a stick

01a. create a usb dos boot disk with rufus

1. You need the BIOS, ex 6gcn25ww.exe

2. on an Linux machine you use innoextract to extract the executable fron the auto-unpacking archive. will have same name and extension

3. you put the newly obtained exec in the root of the dos boot usb stick

4. boot the machine with said usb stick

5. type the name of .exe file at the promt, wait for extract process, wait for reboot, let the exe do its job - a new boot window will appear with the progress bar.....wait some more.....wait til machine reboots......check new bios......success !

finish

My 2 cents for people with noob skills on Linux.

I hope it will help someone....

Best regards

Comment by johanna
CentOS 7, systemd units, and usb permission
Thank you for the useful instructions. This page alone provided all the steps that helped me share my scanner on CentOS 7 to a Fedora client. I struggled with my scanner trying to print something, and I didn't realize it for the longest time, but once I canceled that job, it all works with the instructions here, even with selinux.
Comment by Bgstack15
Re: comment 1
I'm not sure why you're saying that it's sloppy for a system-wide binary to be owned by root. That's both the policy in Debian and also it prevents an ordinary user from tampering a binary that could be used by other users.
Comment by francois
comment 1
sudo chown root:root /usr/bin/VidyoDesktop

Why, specifically, does it need to be root? Simple chown-to-root is operationally sloppy/Windows-think. Do you have a setcap(8) procedure that could yield a viable result?

Comment by Anonymous
ejabberd
You can install freedombox on debian now and it provides apps to bypass all thia - ejabberd, matrix, lets encrypt and more.
Comment by lsjmhar