Recent comments on posts in the blog:

Same here... and byte order mark issues!
I just investigated something similar involving a caching proxy that performed decompression. In my case the Content-Length header was, in many instances, off by three bytes. Further investigation--including identifying the bytes 0xEE 0xBB 0xBF--led me to discover that the Byte Order Mark (BOM) at the head of some of my text files was being stripped away by the proxy...BUT the Content-Length wasn't being downward adjusted by the proxy! So basically clients of the proxy ended up with some content (likely because of a keep-alive between the browser and the caching proxy) that included the first three bytes of the next response! (Usually this was "HTT" at the end of the file... probably part of the "HTTP/1.1 200 OK" response header on the next reply in the stream! This took quite a bit of time to investigate but was quite interesting!
Comment by Eric Kramer
IP v6 localhost

Hi

I'm using OMD 1.10 and did not find gearman-job-server, but this solved this problem for me: renaming "localhost" for ::1 to "localhost6" in /etc/hosts

first try:

$ nc -vz localhost 4730
nc: connect to localhost port 4730 (tcp) failed: Connection refused
Connection to localhost 4730 port [tcp/gearman] succeeded!

after renaming localhost:

$ nc -vz localhost 4730
Connection to localhost 4730 port [tcp/gearman] succeeded!

hth!

Regards, Stefan

Comment by MrKnödelmann
untried suggestions
Please if you are going to make a suggestion, make sure it does what is asked in the question. The OP wanted to add files to a FreeDOS USB stick, so he could update a BIOS. Presumably he would need the particular BIOS update executable plus a new BIOS image and possibly the ability to save a copy of the current BIOS in case something goes awry. The poster who suggested using balder10.img obviously hadn't tested it and didn't know that it boots as a 1.44 Mb floppy image.
Comment by Anonymous
comment 3

Thank you for this great howto.

Is there anyway to establish an s2s connexion with a domain that does not have SRV record? Some of my contact use gtalk with googleApps with their domain and does not have access to their DNS server. Is their anyway to disable TLS with all domains that use google's server?

Thank you, Regards. Charlie

Comment by Charlie
comment 3

Yes, you're wrong, on both guesses. It's not 'left over' at all. The human-readable response text is there for humans who choose to use a text-based browser. Without the human-readable text, there would be way for the user to determine the problem short of carefully examining the headers.

And, yes, some of us actually do use text-based browsers; especially when we're wanting to look under the hood while diagnosing problems with servers and browsers.

Comment by Anonymous
mmreencrypt

I made this ancient software in 2000!

I don't think it still works, but it might be worth a try. Plugin for Mailman.

Comment by Evan Prodromou
2FA & cipher restrictions
Nice tutorial. I wrote my own recently with a little more focus on Two-Factor Authentication and strong encryption (limiting weak ciphers/MACs) but found your tutorial really strong in the auditing department. https://joscor.com/2014/09/hardening-openssh-server-ubuntu-14-04/
Comment by 01000101
comment 2
I found the opposite - that ejabberd was much easier than both Prosody and Mongoose.IM to set up (Mongoose is probably easy on Debian/Ubuntu, but on Amazon Linux the dependencies are harder to install).
Comment by Anonymous
Toggle
It works for me in Sid. I would speculate this is the kind of things that gnome-settings-deamon would interfere with but since it doesn't work either with Gnome itself, well, I don't know. :)
Comment by Vincent Bernat
Want to make life a little easier?

This sets most of that for you, the rest should be able to be done with xdg-autostart entries: https://github.com/yrro/gnome-i3

Also, you may prefer light-locker to gnome-screensaver.

Comment by Cameron