Recent comments on posts in the blog:

comment 2
I found the opposite - that ejabberd was much easier than both Prosody and Mongoose.IM to set up (Mongoose is probably easy on Debian/Ubuntu, but on Amazon Linux the dependencies are harder to install).
Comment by Anonymous
Toggle
It works for me in Sid. I would speculate this is the kind of things that gnome-settings-deamon would interfere with but since it doesn't work either with Gnome itself, well, I don't know. :)
Comment by Vincent Bernat
Want to make life a little easier?

This sets most of that for you, the rest should be able to be done with xdg-autostart entries: https://github.com/yrro/gnome-i3

Also, you may prefer light-locker to gnome-screensaver.

Comment by Cameron
Alternatives

Seems like you've solved a lot of the same things I have in different ways after switching to i3 :)

My i3 config is up on github - I use this along with a fairly trivial ~/.xsession to set up my ~/.i3/config and start i3. I also have some python scripts (i3companion) here to handle some of the more advanced things:

Some differences between our setups:

gnome-settings-daemon - Sounds like you need this for a different reason to me. I used to run this as a quick hack to get backlight + keyboard backlight controls to work without needing root, but it always caused issues and was hard to configure without Gnome, so I now talk to the appropriate daemons over dbus/xcb to do this myself (upower for keyboard backlight, X11 RANDR for LCD backlight). More on this later.

gnome-keyring-daemon - What's wrong with ssh-add (part of ssh-agent)?

gnome-screensaver - I use i3lock with xautolock. I like the fact that i3lock actually saves power by turning off the screen and keeping it off until you start to unlock it (with the --dpms flag). Back when I used wmii I did basically the same thing as i3lock with xtrlock and a python script to keep the screen off.

nm-applet - I use wicd-curses, which is bound to mod+n for quick access (N for networks)

volume/brightness key bindings - I use my own python script (i3companion) for these instead of execing a binary each time, which significantly reduces the latency (especially on the first press after Linux has discarded the binary from the page cache). My script uses python-xpyb and python-xlib to grab the keybindings directly, so this does not strictly go through i3 any more.

In addition to the XF86 keys, I also bind other common keys for these so I don't have to think about the different locations these keys are on every brand's keyboard (I typically switch between machines several times a day). I use mod+up/down for the LCD backlight, mod+shift+up/down for the keyboard backlight, mod+square brackets for volume up/down, mod+backslash for mute and mod+shift+backslash for pavucontrol (for when I need to do something more advanced, such as rerouting an audio stream to my bluetooth headphones).

Suspend script - On one laptop I just use the laptop's Fn+F4 to do this through the standard acpi scripts, on another laptop I catch the power button (it's a Mac Air, so the power button is in the stupidest place they could possibly have conceived and not catching it is a recipe for disaster, because OF COURSE you would put the power button as a normal key just above backspace, I mean where else would you put a dangerous key like that?) and display a menu asking what to do (suspend, hibernate, shut down, reboot, log out, switch user) and invoke a suitable dbus interface to do the correct action - all without requiring root or sudo. To lock the screen on suspend I bind XF86ScreenSaver, XF86Sleep and XF86Suspend to run i3lock.

I've got a few other neat tricks as well in my config - one of these days I should really blog about it, but the meantime, feel free to check it out on github :)

Comment by Ian
Re: Random comments

Thanks for your comments Vincent, it's good to hear from someone who seems to know what's going on :)

I've tried your setxkbmap line and the toggle doesn't work. I suspect these issues on jessie/sid are the same as what these other users have found on Ubuntu 14.04:

It would also explain why the toggle doesn't work in the GNOME settings (since it's probably just calling setxkbmap for us).

Comment by fmarier
Re: git-annex

I should probably blog about my use of git-annex at some point :)

Setting it up is not hard if you use the assistant (git annex webapp). I use my own ssh server as the intermediate transfer server and I set up an XMPP server on there too.

For /etc however, I use the etckeeper package instead.

Comment by fmarier
Re: Screensaver
xscreensaver might work. I admit I didn't look too deeply into it once I found a way to make gnome-screensaver work because that one looks more "modern" :)
Comment by fmarier
comment 4
The ion3 has a fork Notion (http://notion.sourceforge.net/) which not only is actively mantained (and has a fair progress since forking, like new kludges and xrandr/xinerama-no-restart support) but also is properly licensed and is a part of Debian (at least testing, which I'm on). I use it on a daily basis. There's hardly an need for ion-addicts to reinvent the wheel...
Comment by Wojtek
Screensaver

Have you considered trying if xscreensaver works without the hacks needed for gnome-screensaver?

Thanks for the tips, I am going to use (a variant of) your suspend script.

Comment by Adam
Random comments

Hi!

gnome-screensaver does not work as expected because idleness is detected by gnome-session. You could run i3 through gnome-session (you need an hand-crafted desktop file).

For switching between keyboard bindings, this is something that X can handle itself. For example, look at setxkbmap us,fr '' grp:rctrl_rshift_toggle will switch between US and FR layouts.

I had tried to keep those gnome stuff in the past, but the interaction between all those parts is under-documented and can change quite often. I would stay far from gnome-settings-daemon which does a lot of things. You could look at xsettingsd which will do exactly what you describe without hidden features.

Comment by Vincent Bernat