Recent comments on posts in the blog:

untried suggestions
Please if you are going to make a suggestion, make sure it does what is asked in the question. The OP wanted to add files to a FreeDOS USB stick, so he could update a BIOS. Presumably he would need the particular BIOS update executable plus a new BIOS image and possibly the ability to save a copy of the current BIOS in case something goes awry. The poster who suggested using balder10.img obviously hadn't tested it and didn't know that it boots as a 1.44 Mb floppy image.
Comment by Anonymous
comment 3

Thank you for this great howto.

Is there anyway to establish an s2s connexion with a domain that does not have SRV record? Some of my contact use gtalk with googleApps with their domain and does not have access to their DNS server. Is their anyway to disable TLS with all domains that use google's server?

Thank you, Regards. Charlie

Comment by Charlie
comment 3

Yes, you're wrong, on both guesses. It's not 'left over' at all. The human-readable response text is there for humans who choose to use a text-based browser. Without the human-readable text, there would be way for the user to determine the problem short of carefully examining the headers.

And, yes, some of us actually do use text-based browsers; especially when we're wanting to look under the hood while diagnosing problems with servers and browsers.

Comment by Anonymous
mmreencrypt

I made this ancient software in 2000!

I don't think it still works, but it might be worth a try. Plugin for Mailman.

Comment by Evan Prodromou
2FA & cipher restrictions
Nice tutorial. I wrote my own recently with a little more focus on Two-Factor Authentication and strong encryption (limiting weak ciphers/MACs) but found your tutorial really strong in the auditing department. https://joscor.com/2014/09/hardening-openssh-server-ubuntu-14-04/
Comment by 01000101
comment 2
I found the opposite - that ejabberd was much easier than both Prosody and Mongoose.IM to set up (Mongoose is probably easy on Debian/Ubuntu, but on Amazon Linux the dependencies are harder to install).
Comment by Anonymous
Toggle
It works for me in Sid. I would speculate this is the kind of things that gnome-settings-deamon would interfere with but since it doesn't work either with Gnome itself, well, I don't know. :)
Comment by Vincent Bernat
Want to make life a little easier?

This sets most of that for you, the rest should be able to be done with xdg-autostart entries: https://github.com/yrro/gnome-i3

Also, you may prefer light-locker to gnome-screensaver.

Comment by Cameron
Alternatives

Seems like you've solved a lot of the same things I have in different ways after switching to i3 :)

My i3 config is up on github - I use this along with a fairly trivial ~/.xsession to set up my ~/.i3/config and start i3. I also have some python scripts (i3companion) here to handle some of the more advanced things:

Some differences between our setups:

gnome-settings-daemon - Sounds like you need this for a different reason to me. I used to run this as a quick hack to get backlight + keyboard backlight controls to work without needing root, but it always caused issues and was hard to configure without Gnome, so I now talk to the appropriate daemons over dbus/xcb to do this myself (upower for keyboard backlight, X11 RANDR for LCD backlight). More on this later.

gnome-keyring-daemon - What's wrong with ssh-add (part of ssh-agent)?

gnome-screensaver - I use i3lock with xautolock. I like the fact that i3lock actually saves power by turning off the screen and keeping it off until you start to unlock it (with the --dpms flag). Back when I used wmii I did basically the same thing as i3lock with xtrlock and a python script to keep the screen off.

nm-applet - I use wicd-curses, which is bound to mod+n for quick access (N for networks)

volume/brightness key bindings - I use my own python script (i3companion) for these instead of execing a binary each time, which significantly reduces the latency (especially on the first press after Linux has discarded the binary from the page cache). My script uses python-xpyb and python-xlib to grab the keybindings directly, so this does not strictly go through i3 any more.

In addition to the XF86 keys, I also bind other common keys for these so I don't have to think about the different locations these keys are on every brand's keyboard (I typically switch between machines several times a day). I use mod+up/down for the LCD backlight, mod+shift+up/down for the keyboard backlight, mod+square brackets for volume up/down, mod+backslash for mute and mod+shift+backslash for pavucontrol (for when I need to do something more advanced, such as rerouting an audio stream to my bluetooth headphones).

Suspend script - On one laptop I just use the laptop's Fn+F4 to do this through the standard acpi scripts, on another laptop I catch the power button (it's a Mac Air, so the power button is in the stupidest place they could possibly have conceived and not catching it is a recipe for disaster, because OF COURSE you would put the power button as a normal key just above backspace, I mean where else would you put a dangerous key like that?) and display a menu asking what to do (suspend, hibernate, shut down, reboot, log out, switch user) and invoke a suitable dbus interface to do the correct action - all without requiring root or sudo. To lock the screen on suspend I bind XF86ScreenSaver, XF86Sleep and XF86Suspend to run i3lock.

I've got a few other neat tricks as well in my config - one of these days I should really blog about it, but the meantime, feel free to check it out on github :)

Comment by Ian
Re: Random comments

Thanks for your comments Vincent, it's good to hear from someone who seems to know what's going on :)

I've tried your setxkbmap line and the toggle doesn't work. I suspect these issues on jessie/sid are the same as what these other users have found on Ubuntu 14.04:

It would also explain why the toggle doesn't work in the GNOME settings (since it's probably just calling setxkbmap for us).

Comment by fmarier